I was on the way home from shooting in Boko temple last Saturday when Pipi called me, asking whether I was able to go immediately to the home of my former architecture lecturer. His youngest daughter just passed away that morning, and I was asked to help documenting the funeral. I never did it before, but I really couldn't say no.

It wasn't a neat experience, to say the least. I didn't go there in hope of nailing some good frames or anything. I went there simply because... it seemed to be the only right thing to do at that moment. I got there before the family of the deceased came home from the hospital. Saw some familiar faces. Started shooting. It wasn't until the family came that it all suddenly became too weird for me. Those grieving faces. And there I was with a camera in hand, supposed to shoot the scene. I wouldn't be surprised if someone saw me that day thought of me as an insensitive asshole.

I wonder whether knowing the people made it easier or harder for me.

Perhaps it didn't even matter.

And this reminds me of those war photographers. I just shoot the loss of a person. They, on the other hand, may shoot the grief of an entire nation. How would that feel?

I wouldn't share many photos like usual.

Just this one.


12 comments:

Darin said...

Tough situation. Powerful photo.

I don't have time to comment on all of your post, but I do read them all and your photos are always good.

Keep up the great work

rachel ratna said...

dok,, tu anak paling kecilnya pak basuki? fotony ngena bangettt

Wid said...

darin: thanks for the visit, man. really appreciate it.

sasha: yeah, itu anaknya yg meninggal. pas meninggal dia smp kelas satu kalo nggak salah sih, jadi nggak sekecil yg ada di foto itu. mungkin dari keluarga nggak ada foto yg lebih baru

KmeltSiUntaBaikHati said...

dalem T_T

KmeltSiUntaBaikHati said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mini.me said...

.....kenapa si meninggalnya??

Anonymous said...

meninggalnya karena sakit myth...

Ig said...

it's admirable that u still shot well under not-so-comfortable circumstances. and even if people did think that of you, you know what you were doing, and don't be bothered by what others may think, yeah?

Anonymous said...

so sorry to hear that bad news
meninggalnya klo g salah krna sakit ginjal

4 thumbs deh dok, great pic in hard situation

Anonymous said...

kena momentnya. josh mas. kl moto model begini itu sy kok ga tega ya mas. caranya biar yg dipoto ga tersinggung gmn ya... nuwun.

Anonymous said...

your photo is very powerful, speaks for itself!

Unknown said...

...thankyou very much do', for your kindness, your help... what a touched photo, beautiful...:)))
thousands tears dropped that day, and seeing your shot today just remind us not to cry anymore, but to be stronger than before...-tituk